Spensley Street’s Art program is an integral part of the curriculum. Through the Arts, students express their understandings drawn from other areas of the curriculum. They explore experiences, ideas, emotions and understandings through making, interpreting, performing, creating and presenting. Learning in the Arts encourages the development of a wide range of skills – cognitive, emotional, sensory and aesthetic.
Through the Arts, students explore different cultures and their histories and explore contemporary issues of cultural diversity.
The Arts education program aims to:
- Develop students’ enjoyment of Arts experiences
- Develop students’ appreciation of the Arts
- Develop students’ knowledge, skills, techniques and ideas using a range of artistic forms, mediums and skills
- Encourage students to express and communicate their ideas, feelings and understandings
- Develop students’ abilities to transfer ideas and skills acquired through art education to other curriculum areas and their own lives
- Develop students’ awareness of the diversity of the Arts in different societies, both past and present.